Friday, October 03, 2014

OCTOBER READING GROUP UPDATE






It is 100 degrees in Los Angeles today, at least in the Valley if not downtown. Not Indian Summer, just still hot. But I can feel autumn in the cooler nights. No matter the season, reading groups go on. Already this past Wednesday at Bookie Babes we had the biggest surprise of the year. Most members liked The Dinner by Hermann Koch. I predicted it would be universally hated but only two of us were thumbs down. You will see Bookie Babes on here twice this month. Due to Rosh Hashanah we met a week later than usual and that pushed our September meeting into October.

Here are the already discussed and upcoming books for this month.


Bookie Babes:


New Book Club:


Once Upon A Time Adult Reading Group:


One Book At A Time:


Bookie Babes:


Do you have a good or funny or horrific reading group story? Post it in the comments!


5 comments:

  1. Didn't you review The Dinner and Orphan Train already? I am keen to read your review of Maya's Notebook; I have some of Allende's books on my TBR list.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did. I read them both earlier in the year. This is how I manage to be in so many reading groups. Eventually the books repeat so I don't have as many I have to get through each month. I am excited to read, discuss, and review Maya's Notebook. It was my pick! I don't know which ones you have on your TBR list but if you have not read her before I recommend either Eva Luna or Of Love and Shadows for a first read. Those are the books that made me fall in love with her fiction and the ways she portrays women.

      Delete
  2. I have Eva Luna on my TBR, also Paula, The House of Spirits, Ines of My Soul, and Portrait in Sepia. I read City of the Beasts first (young adult adventure).
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you finish Maya's Notebook? BTW, I just posted my review of House of Spirits (loved it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have finished it but haven't written my review yet. It is the second one down on the pile! I loved it. I will check out yours of House of Spirits.

      Delete